SMT Process Engineering Specialist
Innovate to solve the world's most important challenges
The Kansas City National Security Campus (KCNSC) is a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) facility managed and operated by Honeywell Federal Manufacturing & Technology (FM&T). Our primary business is to manufacture sophisticated mechanical, electronic, and engineered material components for our nation’s defense system. Our goal is to seek innovative solutions that surpass our customers’ expectations. To accomplish this, we research, develop, and deploy some of the most advanced design and manufacturing technologies in use in the United States today.
The Surface Mount Technology Department has openings for experienced process engineering support personnel to provide hands-on support of our electrical component fabrication lines. The successful candidate will have a technical degree and prior SMT/ PWA process engineering support experience. The candidate will lead yield improvement and process control activities using Six Sigma and SPC tools.
Summary of Duties:
- Applies mathematical, physical science, and advanced engineering technologies in accomplishing engineering objectives.
- Exercises considerable latitude in determining technical objectives of assignments.
- Conducts research and development experiments to resolve complex engineering and quality problems involving highly technical and scientific methods.
- Performs support functions for project planning and managing project resources, including multiple individuals and disciplines, to achieve quality, delivery schedules, and cost objectives.
- Writes technical reports on results and conclusions drawn from experiments conducted and incorporates findings in formal specifications.
- Estimates set-up times, flow-times, costs of production and acceptance equipment, and compiles cost estimates and delivery quotations, monitors performance, and prepares reports, statistics, and recommendations for management review.
- Participates in establishing operating procedures on new products and components.
- Defines and recommends new designs, design changes, and alternate designs of instruments, and test equipment, and orders tooling, gauging, and equipment necessary to assure product quality.
- Plans and performs engineering testing and development programs and uses advanced statistical and scientific methods to address and resolve critical engineering and production problems to assure product manufacturability.
- Originates, refines, and releases complex manufacturing or inspection work directions.
- Determines acceptability of processes and materials with other organizations as needed, such as design agencies, quality, and other affected organizations.
- Based on research, applies, develops and recommends innovative methodologies and technologies which are equal to the industry's state of the art to resolve processing and design problems.
- Provides technical consultation to management and others, and leads technical project teams.
- Responsible for strategic technical support that may involve longer range and/or complex business objectives in field of expertise.
- Evaluates and implements innovations and technological advances that improve quality, reduce flow time, improve productivity, and enhance operational surety.
Leads technical support teams.
20 Plan and execute project tasks
20 Ensure project and product compliance
20 Present to leadership and external customers
20 Establish and follow methodologies
20 Propose technical improvements
You Must Have:
- A.S. in applicable technical field.
- Must have at least 8 years of applicable Surface Mount Technology/ Printed Wiring Assembly process engineering support experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant technical field.
- Self motivated, proactive, and the ability to handle multiple tasks and changing priorities.
- Expert level knowledge in soldering, screen printing, solder jet printing, pick and place, surface mount technologies, through hole selective soldering, reflow, AOI, SPI, thermal profiling, x-ray, cleaning, PWA design, PWB design, stencil design, COTS components, BTCs, etc.
- Significant experience in process characterization, and use of Control Plans, FMEAs, Paretos and other tools to drive and document yield improvement activities.
- Significant experience with applying statistical analysis methods to product/process development (SPC).
- Significant experience with setting up and executing Design of Experiments (DOE) and performing capability analysis.
- Familiarity with reliability, failure analysis and characterization processes.
- Expertise with MIL, JEDEC & IPC standards.
- Experience with Design for Manufacturing guides.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent team working skills.
- Demonstrated experience in project leadership.
- High level trouble shooting skills and failure analysis skills.
- Six Sigma green belt or black belt certification.
Due to US export control laws, must be a US citizen, permanent resident or have protected status.Exempt Honeywell FM&T Overview
- Some Travel Required
- Continued Professional Development
- 1st Shift
- Job ID: req135429
- Category: Engineering
- Location: 14520 Botts Road, Kansas City, MO 64147 USA
Honeywell is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status.
Honeywell is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, religion, or veteran status.
For more information on applicable equal employment regulations, refer to the EEO is the Law poster .
Please refer to the EEO is the Law Supplement Poster & the Pay Transparency Policy .
If a disability prevents you from applying for a job through our website, request assistance here . No other requests will be acknowledged.
Terms & Conditions | Privacy Statement © 2017 Honeywell International Inc.